My Motivation

My Motivation
My little Bruce Bug

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

My Testimony

Religion is an uncomfortable topic for me. Even amongst my friends and family who share my beliefs. While I love words, I have found that when it comes to religion, it is better to observe what one does if I want to know what they believe, instead of listening to what one says (or writes). I also assume that people, and I am referring to grown adults, have chosen their beliefs and lifestyle based on what makes them happy. Because conversations about religion are rarely respectful, and this applies to people on all sides, I choose not to participate. I don't appreciate when my beliefs are laughed at or made light of and I would never want to do that to someone else. And while offense is often taken when no offense is intended, again, I choose not to participate.

And then I remembered...

During a discussion in a philosophy class at the University of Oregon, a Muslim woman was sharing her beliefs. The topic was Nichomachean Ethics and somehow the conversation turned to this woman's religion. At the time, I did not subscribe to any particular religion, though I did believe in God in a sort of lucid and ethereal sense. I was particularly interested in what she had to say because she did so with an unapologetic conviction. Having been accustomed to political correctness, (Eugene OR = Earth Muffin =PC) I was delightfully shocked that someone so young (maybe 19) would have the audacity to share her beliefs with a group of people that did not only not share them, but were against them. I do not recall all of the specifics of her testimony, for that is what it amounted to on that hot and muggy summer term day, but I remember that her voice was unwavering and her answers sure as people began asking the most personal of questions. People that demanded respect for their own lifestyle but seemed unable or unwilling to give that same respect to this woman. She repeatedly stated that her beliefs were hers and she was glad to share them, but she would not apologize for them. She did not get angry at accusations or assumptions. She let them come and then let them go. Between all the active participants of the conversation, I am certain that she was the only one who walked out of the class without higher blood pressure and a faster pulse.

I want to follow her example and share my testimony because what I believe has brought me much happiness and peace. Two things that were not a constant part of my life for probably the first 20 years. Or more.  I was raised in a Latter Day Saint home but the gospel was taught under the guise of fear and self loathing. So while I am an active member of the church I was raised in, I understand that going to church every Sunday can be worth as much as finding a drawer full of Monopoly money. Absolutely nothing.

I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ live. I know they love me. I know they want to help me and guide me, but they will only do so if I want them to. I know that Christ atoned for my sins and heartaches, just as He did for everyone. I know that we are given commandments to make us happy and to prevent unnecessary anguish. Hard times are a part of life, but we don't have to make it harder for ourselves, and following the commandments aids in this. I know that a personal relationship with Heavenly Father is the one sure way to always have someone who understands. Friends and family are great to talk to, and necessary, but Heavenly Father understands and knows how to help. Especially with those feelings and circumstances that no one else truly gets. I know that God wants me to love others as He loves me. And while I have a long way to go, He gives me the strength and patience to be a much kinder person than I am otherwise inclined.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Welp, my little Bruce-ter is awakening so I better scoot.





1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I was that girl in one of my UO classes, being slammed and accused and questioned as a "Mormon". It was rough, and I think I handled it well, but this girl sounds like a champ. Good for her, and good for her for leaving an impression all these years later.

    ReplyDelete