My Motivation

My Motivation
My little Bruce Bug

Monday, February 20, 2012

Sister Jackie

This is probably the tenth time I have started this entry. I keep deleting what I write because all the words that come to mind cannot properly describe Sister Jackie. She is unconditional love and concern wrapped up in southern fried chicken and homemade chocolate chip cookies. She is funny and sassy and down to earth. She is someone I hope to be like by the time I grow up.
 I had the privledge of meeting Sister Jackie at church when we moved to Fresno. I cannot recall the details of our first conversation, but by the end I felt as though she had given my soul a hug. When she asks, "How are you doing?" she genuinely wants an answer other then, "good." Whenever I see her walk into the Relief Society room I'm selifishly a little bummed if there are no seats open near me. Even if she sits a row ahead of me I am able to enjoy the warmth that radiates off her. It is refreshing to watch someone who so freely gives of her time and love to others, asking nothing in return.
I decided that Sister Jackie was officially one of my heros just this past Saturday. Our ward was having a car wash to help raise money for the scouts and Sister Jackie brought her truck by. When she pulled up to pay her ten dollars she had a smile on her face like she always does. She asked my husband and I how we were doing and then went on to talk to the two precious six year old twins that were zipping around on their scooters. She said to them, "Next time Sister Jackie babysits you, we gonna go to the park. Would you like that?" Of course they said yes and smiled at her as they obviously adored her. I noticed a tear starting its way down her cheek and when we asked her what was wrong she told us she had just lost her sister. I was amazed. Here she was, offering her love and support to all of us right after hearing about the death of her sister. I found myself at a loss for words. (which rarely ever happens to me) I stammered out the question, "Is there anything we can do for you?" Her response, "Pray for me and her babies. She has a twelve year old and a seventeen year old and I don't know what we gonna do. Just pray for me." I told her I would as she drove to her place in the car wash line. To top all this off, after having her car washed she bought candy for everyone and brought her bag around to everyone who was there to help. I should have stood up and given her a big hug as I know she would have hugged me. When I saw her briefly at church on Sunday I should have walked over, sat down and put my arm around her even though I didn't see her until the middle of the service. So many things I should have done. I made excuses for myself like, "I asked her if I could do anything and she just wants my prayers, or, it is the middle of church, I will talk to her after." I'm fairly certain excuse making is one of the big differences between me and Sister Jackie. I come up with a zillion reasons as to why I can't walk up to a new person at church (or anywhere) and introduce myself and ask them about their life. Sister Jackie comes up with a zillion reasons as to why she can.

2 comments:

  1. Sister Jackie is amazing. I invited her to my oldest Son's football game. She came. During half time or something, she went around with pass along cards inviting people to trunk or treat later that evening. The Bishop was there too. She put us all to shame :) She watches our boys from time to time and she is just great. She plays with them, they are never a burden. Not many in my family can handle their energy levels. I called her on Friday to remind her of her commitment to come support my son Damien at the carwash and she said she would be there and proceeded to tell me about her sister. I would have been understanding if she couldn't come, but she did, and put her whole heart into it. Just love her. We met her while my husband was a ward missionary about a year ago. She is an example to many, and I don't think she holds back.

    ReplyDelete