My Motivation

My Motivation
My little Bruce Bug

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Worth Keeping

When I move I throw away everything possible. I have not lived in the same house/apartment for more than a year and a half since I was thirteen years old and as a result I throw stuff away to make the moving process easier. Books go in the trash. Clothes. Food. Nick-knacks. I hate Nick-knacks. Anything and everything I don't see an immediate use for gets thrown away. My brother Eli loves to help me move because he always gets free stuff.

 Side note: I married a pack rat. The next time we move might be the first time we have a real argument. Usually one or both of us is willing to budge on every issue...but probably not this one.

Anyhow, I was looking for an important document the other day and I noticed that there are a few things, besides my journals and pictures, I have always kept. As I was making a mental note of these items I realized they all had one thing in common; they were given to me by my little Grammy. She made me a brown plaque that says 'I love you' in about ten different languages. She gave me a star tile with a poem titled "Don't Quit" written on it. She bought me a pair of beautiful copper colored earrings. She has given me a very pretty stuffed bear, a picture of Jesus Christ, several books and a few other little do-dahs. As I mentioned before, I hate nick-knacks, but I can never bring myself to get rid of the little gifts she has given me. After a few minutes of thinking about why I cherish these little trinkets I realized that each gift was given during a particularly difficult week or month. (I lived with my Grammy and Grampy for a time as an adult.) My little Grammy knew that I needed to be reminded of how much she loved me. I wasn't always willing to hear the words, "I love you," and so she found another way to tell me. Long after she is gone, which I hope won't be for another hundred years, I will have reminders set around my house that my Grammy loves me. With her love comes the assurance that I am worthwhile, that I am smart, that I am kind, (just like in The Help!) that I am beautiful. She always says to me, "You know, you are so beautiful. And I don't just say that because I am your Grammy." I respond, "Yes you do Grammy," as I playfully roll my eyes and loop my arm through hers as we watch one of our mystery shows. We love watching mystery shows together. We used to watch CSI,  Law and Order or Law and Order:Special Victims Unit every night before I went to bed. Grampy would always make us popcorn.





1 comment: